Serve as a voice of the students by joining the Washburn Tech Student Government. Each program elects representatives who share concerns, suggest improvements and organize student activities. You might help design a float for Washburn’s Homecoming parade or help organize an athletic, service or social event. You also might be asked to serve as a Washburn Tech ambassador, leading tours and talking to campus guests. It is a great way to gain leadership qualities along with lasting friendship.
Check out Washburn Tech's award-winning float which was entered in Washburn University's Homecoming Parade. It really turned some heads!
Our student government officers are enrolled in various programs at Washburn Tech and bring different perspectives to the table. Leaders for the current school year are:
- President - Rick Ross
- Vice President - Melissa Owens
- Treasurer - Wyatt Troupe
- Secretaries - Jonathan Sossaman and Cheryl Bailey
- Parliamentarian - Bart Homan
Washburn Tech Student Government is involved in several projects including:
- Annual Turkey Bowl - The annual flag football tournament is held on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving break, and pits students from one program against another. It is a chance for students to not only interact with those from their own programs, but to make connections with students from other areas of study. Students gobble up the fun!
- Guest Speakers and Special Events- Student Government sponsors several special events throughout the school year including a tribute to our veterans on Veterans Day and a commemoration of Black History Month in February.
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer - In the fall, student government representatives set the pace for this fundraiser. Before participating in a walk, they raise money by selling bracelets and getting cash donations. All proceeds benefit people with breast cancer and help find a cure for the disease.
- Toys for Tots Build Day - This annual tradition turns Washburn Tech into Santa's workshop. Washburn Tech students, technical instructors and staff join hundreds of area Boy Scouts, Washburn University students and local volunteers to build toys for children in need during the holiday season. Each December, they craft hundreds of toys including step stools, beat box drums and hobby horses. These gifts are then donated to the local Toys for Tots program.
- Washburn University Homecoming - Washburn Tech is well known for school spirit, especially during Washburn University’s Homecoming Week. Our entries typically win awards in the large float competition. Click here to see our winning float in action.
Building Toys & Making Memories
Lynn Dawson, Advisor, Lynn.email@example.com
John Lemon, Advisor, John.firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit Us on Facebook!